Thursday, July 2, 2009

What's In A Name?

There is still much discussion going on as to how the names should be listed on the 9/11 Memorial at Ground Zero.

Although there will never be a solution that will please everyone it appears that we have once again excluded common sense from the process.

This memorial is meant to honor the people who died on 9/11.

People are more than just names.

Many people spend years becoming who they are and in many cases they become more than just the name they were given at birth.

I don’t ever remember calling my Doctor by his first name.

I even had a friend called Junior and to this day I still don’t know his real name because I never knew his father’s first name.

I grew up watching Captain Jack McCarthy and Officer Joe Bolton on TV.

I was taught by Sister Sean Patrick, married by Father Murphy and I have even attended services with Rabbi Sussman.

I grew up learning about Sergeant York and General George S. Patton.

I will say it again, people are more than what appears on their driver’s license or social security card.

And they deserve to be remembered for who they are.

This is particularly true with people in our military, and our police and fire departments.

These people who put their lives on the line every day deserve the respect for the rank they have obtained.

And those who died on 9/11 deserve the same such respect.

So whether it be Father Mychal Judge, or Captain Timothy Stackpole or Sergeant Rodney Gillis, let’s honor and remember the individuals and who they were and not just their names.

They deserve nothing less.

No comments: