Monday, January 26, 2009

The Government Needs a Twelve Step Program

Is it just me or has the number of egomaniacs and narcissists in government grown exponentially over the last couple of years.

In the past there were always a few who put themselves and their personal interests above the common good.

Recently it appears to be the norm rather than the exception.

We have the Governor of Illinois in New York this week asking for us to feel sorry for him for attempting to sell the new President’s Senate seat as he ignores the ongoing impeachment proceedings.

We have our own Governor flying off to Switzerland while New York is attempting to deal with a $15 Billion budget deficit.

This after a disastrous selection process to replace Hilary Clinton that included back room meetings, internal leaks from his office and more mudslinging then has been seen since John Candy in Stripes.

We have former Senator Bruno being indicted, a new Secretary of the Treasury who can’t remember to pay his taxes and the list goes on and on.

A friend of mine is in a 12 step program after finally realizing that his life had become unmanageable.

He was told that he had to make character changes and that a bailout was not going to solve his problem.

He was told that even though his actions had put him in considerable debt, his was not just a financial problem.

He needed to change the way he lived and the way he thought.

He needed to get rid of his ego and work on his character defects.

He needed to accept the things he could not change, change the things he could and find the wisdom to know the difference.

Well he did all of those things and he got his life back together and is completely out of debt.

After many years he still attends his meetings because he does not want to fall back into where he was before.

Maybe it’s time for government to do the same.

For it is obvious that for years those in power did not see that our economy was becoming unmanageable and that is why we are where we are today.

When I asked him what he thought he said “One day at a time”

When I asked him if he thought the program would work in government he said KISS.

When I said I didn’t understand he explained.

For years and years I made my life a misery and I always over complicated everything. I was the only one who knew what was right and I never valued anyone else’s opinion. It was always someone else’s fault and I never took any responsibility for my actions.

Until someone told me “Keep It Simple Stupid”

With no disrespect intended I think our government needs to heed this advice.

No comments: